BOMBONERA STADIUM

La Bombonera en 1940.
"La Bombonera" 1940.

La Bombonera hasta el año 1995.
"La Bombonera", until 1995

La Bombonera remodelada
"La Bombonera", since 1996.


The Estadio Alberto J. Armando (formerly the Estadio Camilo Cichero) is a stadium located in the La Boca district of Buenos Aires. Widely known as La Bombonera (the Chocolate Box) due to its shape, with a "flat" stand on one side of the pitch and three steep stands round the rest of the stadium.
The stadium is owned by Boca Juniors, one of Argentina's most famous football clubs. The unusual shape of the stadium has led to it having excellent acosutics and the Boca support being nicknamed "La Doce" (The 12th man).

Three sides of the Bombonera are made up of traditional stands. However, the fourth side had to be built vertically, with several seating areas stacked one on top of the other, to stay within the stadium's property. La Bombonera is renowned for vibrating when fans start to jump in rhythm. In particular, the unique vertical side will sway slightly, leading to the phrase "The Bombonera does not tremble. It beats". (Spanish: La Bombonera no tiembla. Late)[citation needed]

Stadium history

Work began on constructing the stadium on 18 February 1938, and Boca played their home matches at the Ferro Carril Oeste Stadium until the new stadium was built. The stadium finally opened on 25 May 1940 with a friendly match between Boca and San Lorenzo, which the home side won 2-0 with both goals score by Ricardo Alarcón. The stadium, which was originally named Estadio Camilo Cichero, after then club president, Camil Cichero, had two tiers, and in 1949 the club decided to add a third tier, which was completed in 1953, giving the stadium its nickname La Bombonera.

Floodlights were installed in 1952, so that games could be played in the evenings and thus allowing the stadium to host international matches.

The side opposite the Casa Amarilla railway platforms remained mostly unbuilt until the 1990s, when it was upgraded with new balconies and executive boxes, when between 1995 and 1996 the stadium underwent a major renovation, under Mauricio Macri’s presidency in order to raise its capacity from 49,000 to 57,395. The old Executive boxes on Del Valle Iberlucea Street were demolished and replaced by a small tier over which the current executive boxes were built.

The stadium was officially renamed Estadio Alberto J. Armando on 27 December 2000, named after Alberto Armando a former club president who had promised a major renovation of La Bombonera after his election in 1975, but whose plans were delayed by the country's political and economical situation at the time.

La Bombonera currently has a capacity of around 57,395 and the club's popularity make tickets hard to find, especially for the Superclásico derby against River Plate.

Out of its capacity of 57,395, there are 37,538 seats, 2780 are boxes and 17,077 standing. Both its interior and exterior are lined with a number of murals painted by the artist Pérez Celis depicting many of the club's legendary players and aspects of the district's culture, such as the life of Italian immigrants. The black and white Coca-Cola advertisement banners that hang in the stadium are the only ones in the world not to use Coca Cola's trademark red, as Boca's arch rivals River Plate play in red and white.

On 1 August 2001 Boca took on a commitment to provide an improved service at all events held at the stadium, be they sports matches or shows. The aim was to implement a Quality management system which would enable the stadium's owners to achieve a higher standard of excellence.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org; http://lapaginabostera.netfirms.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.